Is there plan for Source Debuger?

Paul de Mast paul.demast@ftn.hsbrabant.nl
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:23:58 MET

Rinus wrote:

> It would be great to have a nice debugger.
> The main problem is that so many transformations take place in the
> Clean compiler that the correspondence between source code and final
> program is hard to explain to the ignorence user.

For debugging (and other purposes) an interpreter integrated in the
Clean environment would also be satisfying.

Although the clean compiler is fast there is still a large difference
between waiting 20 sec. for every testing of a function or see the
result at once.

Also for teaching purpose I think an integrated interpreter is
indispensable.  For a follow-up course in fp I switched from an
interpreter environment to Clean and the one complain students have
is the lack of an interpreter. Normally if a students wants quickly to
see what a function does (in the library or in a given program) they
ask in the interpreter the type an try a few function calls. They
could also take a look at the definition, but seeing is believing
(especially for students who are novice fp programmers.)

So I really hope in the future we can expect an interpreter in Clean
environment.

Paul de Mast