Clean 2.0

rinus plasmeijer rinus@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 04 Nov 1998 15:29:24 +0100

Hi Nick,

> Would a member Clean team be kind enough to enumerate the (intended) new
> features of Clean 2.0?

New:
- multi-parameter type constructor classes
- dynamic types, dynamic linking
- small stuf, among which new scope rules for modules

> Also:
> - What features have been considered but decided against?

Apart from the things above we first want to have a compiler with the
same features as the old compiler albeit the new compiler is written in
Clean.
The new compiler should enable us to add new features more quickly.
Once the new compiler is stable we will add some other stuf.
We of course also have a long list of thing we would like to add or
change.
We are open for suggstions, but our first priority is to get the new
system stable.

> - What features aren't going to be in 2.0 but seem like reasonable additions
> that might make it into future version?
> - Have you guys looked into some of the currently prototyped Haskell
> variants like Cayenne and PolyP?

Yes.

 Do you think these features should (or
> will) be incorporated into future releases of Clean?

They might.

> Since 2.0 is (hopefully) coming out before the end of the year, I imagine
> these questions shouldn't be too hard to answer as you guys are probably
> knee deep in implementation details. Unfortunately, this last question is
> probably irrelavent, then:
>
> - Would you guys be interested in hearing a wish lish for Clean 2.0/3.0(?)

Yes, of course.

Greetings,

Rinus