How to compile Clean from the command line?

Nick Kallen phantom@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 May 1998 15:08:21 -0700

>(I assume you're using Windows 95/NT). This is currently not possible
>because the linker (written in Clean) is integrated in the IDE.
>We will probably make it possible to compile Clean with command line
>utilities. We need this ourselves, for example because Clean 2.0 will
>be written in Clean and we want to automate our build process.

It would be nice if you were to make publicly available some of the compiler
functions in Clean 2.0. That is, functions to parse Clean's concrete syntax,
compile, and interpret would be very useful. For example, the spreadsheet
program which was written in Clean a while back needs its own interpreter
for its subset of the Clean language. It would be much nicer if one could
simply use or extend an existing evaluating function. This doesn't
necessarily imply that one has to make Clean code first class in the
language--eval could be eval :: String -> a. This would also be very useful
if one wanted to add a listener to the Clean IDE; Heck, I bet numerous
productive features could be trivially added to the IDE with this function
available. It might even make sophisticated debugging possible.