A wish: "This function is OK, do not warn me again!"

Erik Zuurbier F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:35:13 +0100

Jenda wrote:
>Sometimes you write a function that is surely OK, but the compiler
>still warns about something.
>[..]
>Couldn't you add some pragmas or something?
>Eg.
>//#nowarn
> = do not give warnings about the next function
>[..]
>//#warn
> = turn it back for this function

Some more ideas for such pairs of brackets:
1) When a programmer introduces a pair of warning killing brackets, the
IDE could keep an extra bit of information (initially zero) in the
program source (not visible to the programmer). As soon as the
programmer edits the source code inside the brackets, the bit is
automatically set to one, because the editing POTENTIALLY invalidates
the programmer's analysis that led her to believe:
"This function is OK, do not warn me again!"
Then the IDE should have a menu option to remove all pragma-bracket
pairs which have their bit set to one. The next time she then runs
the compiler, she gets the warnings again, so she is triggered
to redo the analysis.

2) The programmer should be able to hide the pragma's
from view, while they remain effective.

I am sure Arjan van IJzendoorn is monitoring the clean-list,
so he may consider these ideas for the new IDE.