[FieldTrip] ft_electroderealign

Konstantinos Tsilimparis konstantinos.tsilimparis at outlook.com
Fri Jul 26 21:01:12 CEST 2024

Hi Sara,

The electrodes and the MRI will be aligned when both are in the same coordinate system that is based on 3 points (the so called fiducials).

You can define the fiducials for your MRI manually using ft_volumerealign with cfg.method = ‘interactive’.

EEG systems typically do not include an integrated way to record and store EEG electrode locations and fiducials. A method to define fiducials and electrode locations is using a 3D scanner and the function ft_electrodeplacement (see: https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/electrode/#loading-the-data-and-coregistration).

Also, even though I have not used it myself I believe that you can use ft_electroderealign (with the cfg.method of your choice) to realign the electrodes with the head surface (or headshape)  generated from the MRI. In that case you need to take some steps before that, i.e. you need to realign your MRI (ft_volumerealign – which I mentioned in the first paragraph), segment the MRI (ft_volumesegment) and create a head model (ft_prepare_headmodel). The head surface is stored in vol.bnd
(see: https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/example/electrodes2bem/)

Best,
Konstantinos