[FieldTrip] dftinvert option on ft_preprocessing

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jan 24 07:56:27 CET 2023

Hi Yasir,

The dftinvert option is not deprecated.

If you would have played detective a bit, and don’t shy away from reading some code, you’d see that this option operates on line 465 in https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/fieldtrip/fieldtrip/blob/master/private/preproc.m__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!5BqIlA_JvJpo-_fVl4JnnB59sByGtAK2i3zgm7Sql6fVZffKshSMZ1jfXKXVynXNl9jIyDlCgBIwTb7Uj1xwK7_am93mtI3Lm8Iehg$ .
In other words, this option returns the actual estimate of the powerline fluctuations.

My assumption is that, in combination with the option cfg.boxcar and cfg.rectify, cfg.dftinvert = ‘yes’, will result in an estimate of the envelope of the powerline signal. This can be used to evaluate the sensor-by-sensor contamination.

Whether or not you can omit this analysis step from your processing pipeline, that’s up to you.

Note that additional documentation about the megconnectome pipeline is in a document with reference documentation https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.humanconnectome.org/software/hcp-meg-pipelines__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!5BqIlA_JvJpo-_fVl4JnnB59sByGtAK2i3zgm7Sql6fVZffKshSMZ1jfXKXVynXNl9jIyDlCgBIwTb7Uj1xwK7_am93mtI39rx7yUw$ , and that there’s a dedicated HCP e-mail discussion list, which is probably the more appropriate venue for questions about these data.

Good luck with your analysis,

Jan-Mathijs