[FieldTrip] A question about connectivity values

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jan 4 13:25:18 CET 2023

Hi Masoud,

Theoretically, the Granger causality coefficient is a natural logarithm of a ratio of residual variances, where this ratio is typically >1, because the model implicitly used for the numerator has more parameters, so typically a lower residual variance. In other words, GC > 0 but can become larger than 1.

If the input data into the algorithm are numerically not well behaved, I can imagine that the output GC will be unexpected. In your case, you estimate a series of models consisting of 62x62x6 (i.e. >18.000) parameters (for each time window). If the number of samples in your data is insufficient and/or there’s linear dependence between channels, the estimated parameters, and by consequence the spectral quantities, and the GC will not make sense.

Best wishes and good luck,

Jan-Mathijs