[FieldTrip] sloreta doest not get unity source variance

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Oct 11 08:39:04 CEST 2022

Hi Yiyao,

Thank you for your attempts at clarifying your doubts. I still don’t understand what the confusion is. I doubt whether many people have made the effort of opening the word document, but I did so, and cannot make much out of it. It’s a bit too confusing to me to try and map all the different variable name conventions (paper versus code) onto each other. In general, however, I don’t understand why you think that the ’source covariance matrix’ should be an identity matrix, which source covariance matrix you are referring to, and which combination of variables in the code you would expect to yield an identity matrix.

As in any distributed source model, the source reconstructed variance-covariance matrix (i.e. filter * C * filter’) surely will not be an identity matrix. This would namely imply that the variance of each of the reconstructed sources is the same (and has a value of 1). On the other hand, it could be that there’s some confusion with respect to the ‘prior’ that is used for the computations, i.e. the (implicit) identity matrix that is used for the computation of the Gram-matrix (lf * lf’) -> this can be thought of as (lf * S * lf’), with S being the prior variance-covariance matrix of the sources, which is often conveniently set to be an identity matrix.

Note that the FieldTrip code for the sloreta implementation has originally been contributed by Sarang Dalal, and this is based on the formulation as described in the Sekihara & Nagarajan book (adaptive spatial filters for electromagnetic brain imaging). It would therefore be better to check the code against the description in the book, rather than to the paper that you attached to the e-mail. And subsequently you might want to check the exposition in the book, with the paper.

Good luck and best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs