[FieldTrip] ROI-based source analysis with ft_sourcestatistics

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Aug 26 10:16:09 CEST 2022

Hi Giuseppe,

If you open ft_sourcestatistics and read the help documentation, it states:

% FIXME the following needs to be reimplemented
%
% You can restrict the statistical analysis to regions of interest (ROIs)
% or to the average value inside ROIs using the following options:
%   cfg.atlas        = filename of the atlas
%   cfg.roi          = string or cell of strings, region(s) of interest from anatomical atlas
%   cfg.avgoverroi   = 'yes' or 'no' (default = 'no')
%   cfg.hemisphere   = 'left', 'right', 'both', 'combined', specifying this is required when averaging over regions

If I subsequently search the code for the term ‘roi’ or ‘avgoverroi’, I only get a hit for the occurrences in the help documention, so that means that there is no functional  consequence of specifying those options.

In other words: it is not so surprising that it doesn’t work, at least not in the way that you implemented it in your scripts. This also means that the documentation you used to create your scripts is out of sync with the code. That’s unfortunate, and it would be helpful if propose a change to the website (it could be as minimal as inserting a disclaimer or so) that flags the non-functionality of that snippet of code (for the time being).

This being said, there have been various code/workflow improvements over the past years, which in principle would make it possible for you to achieve what you want, using a different route.

This requires the use of ft_sourceparcellate (or ft_virtualchannel), followed by a call to ft_timelockstatistics/ft_freqstatistics. If the documentation online proves insufficient, then it would be helpful if you were to write a bit of documentation once you find out how to do it.

Good luck and best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs