[FieldTrip] MATLAB crashes during ft_sourceanalysis

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Aug 4 20:18:43 CEST 2022

Hi Kirandeep,

Is there a relationship between whether or not the job crashes, and the exact length of the data (I assume a ‘resting state’) recording? If so, you might be suffering from an out-of-memory problem, which for some reason is not well handled (by means of an informative error) by matlab. If it is indeed a memory problem, a cheap answer would be: run your  jobs on a computer that has a larger RAM.

Alternatively (and more constructively), you may consider to specify cfg.projectmom = ’no’; prior to ft_sourceanalysis. I would assume that - given that you also specify cfg.kurtosis = ‘yes’ - the source projected sensor data are not really needed in memory for downstream processing. The fact that you specified projectmom to be yes, will lead to the creation of a lot of data, i.e. 500 Hz * 720 seconds * 15000 dipoles * 8 bytes per sample = 4.32e10 bytes ~ 40 GB, which is quite a lot.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs