[FieldTrip] where to install FieldTrip so addpath is not needed

Donald Krieger donnkrieger at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 18:45:48 CEST 2022

Dear Jan,

Thank you for posting back about this.
I used Matlab's "Get More Apps" to download and install Fieldtrip.
This placed it in directory ~/MATLAB\ Add-Ons where I presume other add-on apps will go and be found.
Now when I generate a deployable executable using Matlab's compiler, I need only add the fieldtrip functions I am using to "Files required for your application to run" to get a working executable. The Matlab compiler automatically finds all of the dependencies within the fieldtrip toolbox and adds them in. I think this is good as it likely will minimize the size of the executable which is needed for practical deployment to the Open Science Grid.

I did try ft_compile_standalone as directed by the webpage you suggested.
This failed on encountering the directory ~/MATLAB\ Add-Ons, I think because it contains a space in it.
I suspect that if I fix that, it will produce a runtime fieldtrip library which contains executable code for the entire toolbox.
I will likely check that out in the future.

Thank you again - Don