[FieldTrip] a question about preprocessing

masoud masoudheshmatibnd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 13:19:28 CEST 2022

Dear fieldtrip community
I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to you with the hope that
you might be able to help me to find a proper answer for a question which I
have been dealing with.

I am a master student in Biomedical Engineering and I've been using the
EEGlab toolbox to preprocess the acquired EEG data for my master thesis.

My question is about EEG preprocessing orders, more specifically when is
more suitable to apply ICA  to my data. In my current setting, first, I
downsample data and use a hp filter (cut-off frequency is 1 Hz), then I
interpolate the suspected bad channels, but I don't know if I should use
ICA and then use re-referencing or vice versa?

Although I know there is no definite answer for this question, it would be
highly appreciated if you kindly share your opinion and experience as an
expert in this field  with me, and let me know if my current preprocessing
setting is appropriate and, specifically, should I use re-referencing after
ICA or before that?

Thank you in advance for your consideration. I am looking forward to
hearing from you.

Best regards,
Masoud