[FieldTrip] Calculating single PLI value for a frequency band

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Apr 4 15:01:20 CEST 2022

Hi Avi,

Fieldtrip uses ‘rpt’ as a generic indicator for a piece of data. Whether it is a ’trial’ in the traditional sense, i.e. related to a specific experimental event depends on the context.
If you have a long segment of data that is cut into 2-second snippets (e.g. by means of ft_redefinetrial) then FT calls the individual epochs a ’trial’.

If you want to have an estimate of how the PLI changes during the course of the recording, you’d need to somehow use a ‘moving window’ that selects chunks of ’trials’ selectively for a per-chunk computation of the PLI. Explicitly, for instance when you have 10 minutes of recording, chopped into 300 snippets of 2 seconds, compute the PLI in chunks of 50 trials, starting with trial 1-50, then 2-51 etc.

If you want get an estimate for the 8-13 you can either average the PLI across frequency bins, or titrate your spectral transformation such that your estimate at ~10 captures the 7-13 frequency band. This can be achieved by appropriately specifying the options for multitapering. For multitapering there is ample documentation on the fieldtrip website.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs