[FieldTrip] TRF before defining trials

philip Joadavi p.joadavi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 21:41:33 CET 2021

Dear all,

I have continuous EEG data and I would like to first compute the
time-frequency analysis to avoid any boundary effects etc, and then define
my trials.
so I want to do the following:
1- time frequency analysis
2- define trials
3- average over TRF trials
4- average over subjects

However, after defining the trials, my 3dimential data becomes 2
dimensional. I would like to know if there is any function in FieldTrip
that I can use to keep the trial dimension as it is?
I would also like to know how can I get the average over my TRF over trials
and subjects with the same dimension.

here is the code I'm using:

cfg           = [];

cfg.trials    = 'all';

cfg.channel   = 'EEG';

cfg.output    = 'pow';

cfg.method    = 'mtmconvol';

cfg.taper     = 'hanning';

cfg.pad       = 'nextpow2';

cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';

cfg.foi       = 10:.5:40;

cfg.toi       = data.time{1};

cfg.t_ftimwin = 0.5*ones(size(cfg.foi));

df{t}         = ft_freqanalysis(cfg,data);

--------

cfg                     = [];

cfg.fsample             = fsample;

cfg.trialdef.prestim    = preStim ;       % sec

cfg.trialdef.poststim   = postStim ;      % sec

cfg.trialdef.events     = data.trial{1}(e,:);

cfg.trialfun            = 'eegTrialFun';

cfg.trialdef.eventvalue = eventValue;

cfg.keeptrials          = 'yes';

cfg                     = ft_definetrial(cfg);

cfg.trials              = 'all';

d                       = ft_redefinetrial(cfg,df{t});

Thanks a lot!
Philip