[FieldTrip] Possible to combine FEM model with surface-based model of dipole locations?

George Buzzell gbuzzell at fiu.edu
Mon May 3 14:21:21 CEST 2021

Dear FSL Community,

For source localization analyses (using individual MRIs), is there an established workflow/approach in fieldtrip to model all aspects of the inside of the head as volumetric (i.e. employ a FEM model) but restrict the source model (dipole locations) to a surface-based model of the gray matter (i.e. using fieldtrip)?

My understanding is that there are two typical workflows for conducting source localization:

  1.  Use of a FEM (volumetric) head model with a volumetric source grid model
  2.  Use of a BEM (boundary/surface) head model with a surface-based source model (created via free-surfer).

I have traditionally employed approach #1 above. However, I am wondering if it is possible to combine a FEM (volumetric) head model with surface-based modelling of the gray matter (and dipole locations). My reasoning for wanting to do this is that I would presume that FEM allows for improved modelling of the way electricity flows through the internal media of the head, but, a surface model for dipole locations would lead to more accurate modeling of their locations and orientations.

I would be grateful for any comments, insights, links to resources and/or example code. Also, if something is off in the way I am thinking about this, please do let me know!

Best,
George

--
George A. Buzzell