[FieldTrip] Neighborhood of voxels in the volume source space

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Mar 22 17:58:58 CET 2021

Hi Lin,

Not exactly. Apologies that I was not clear enough. What I meant with  'the neighbourhood is implicit in their order’ is the following:

if you take the spatial dimension of your data - including the outsiders - and you would reshape it into the 3D volume, by doing something like reshape(datavector, source.dim); then for a given dipole indexed with the triplet of volumetric indices (ix,iy,iz) has its neighbours at (ix+1,iy,iz), (ix, iy+1, iz), (ix, iy, iz+1) etc.

Now, if you want to manually define for each of the dipole positions their (6 18 or 26? neighbours, depending on whether you include only the center faces, the edges or the corners of the 3x3x3 cube) you probably would want to loop through the three dimensions and identify for each of the dipoles which are the indices of their direct neighbours. To this end, you could start with creating a ‘dummy’ variable that contains the dipole indices in a volume, i.e. reshape(1:5780, [17 20 17]), and then loop through all positions in the volume to identify the neighbours

neighbours = cell([17 20 17]);
for i = 2:16
for j = 2:19
for k =2:16

tmp = dummy(i+[-1:1], j+[-1:1],k+[-1:1]); % this needs to be adjusted according to which part of the cube you desire in your searchlight
neighbours{i,j,k} = tmp(:);

end
end
end

On a side note, I would think that doing a spatial searchlight on source reconstructed MEG data is a little bit of an overkill, unless you have reason to suspect that you have some local very high spatial resolution. As an alternative, you could consider chunking your data into parcels -e.g. based on a(n) (refined) anatomical atlas- and use those parcels as your spatial searchlight.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs