[FieldTrip] What does cfg.lcmv.fixedori = 'yes' mean?

Lin Wang wanglinsisi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 20:51:33 CEST 2021

Dear fieldtrip experts,

When using LCMV to conduct source localization, I'm wondering what
cfg.lcmv.fixedori = 'yes' means here.

According to this tutorial
<https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/workshop/paris2019/handson_sourceanalysis/>,
it says that "we specify the spatial filter to have a ‘fixedori’, which
means that for each dipole location the source is assumed to have a fixed
orientation". This seems to suggest that the defined dipole has only one
orientation and is fixed over time.

However, another tutorial
<https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer_lcmv/> commented:
"cfg.lcmv.fixedori = 'yes' % project on axis of most variance using SVD".
This seems to suggest that the defined dipole can have a free orientation
that varies at different time points.

Or am I misunderstanding anything here?

Thank you very much for any explanation/clarification.

Best,

Lin