[FieldTrip] Vacant PhD or Postdoc position in computational social neuroscience (NIN Amsterdam)

Lei Zhang bnuzhanglei2008 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 13:07:13 CET 2021

** apologies for cross-posting **

*Vacant PhD or Postdoc position in computational social neuroscience!*

The Social Brain Lab, at the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, has an
exciting opportunity for a Post-doc researcher or PhD student to
investigate the link between embodied processes and of conflictual social
decision making in humans

*Project*: You will use both pre- and newly acquired fMRI, EEG and EcoG
data in combination with reinforcement learning computational modelling to
reveal the circuits and processes linking embodied perception and other
regarding choices, in particular when cost and benefits for self are in
conflict with costs and benefits for others. This project will require a
combination of advanced analytical and modelling skills together with
creative social neuroscience experimentation. We therefore expect you to be
comparatively independent regarding the computational aspects of the
project, leveraging our close collaborations with computation neuroscience
groups as appropriate, while we guarantee our direct support in developing
the necessary social neuroscience competences. By working within the SBL
you will have the unique opportunity to collaborate with other members of
the lab working with rodent’s model to bridge and integrate results from
the two species.

*Duration*: 3 years
*Starting date*: as soon as possible
*Application deadline*: February 20, 2021
*Working language*: English
*Location*: Social Brain Lab (socialbrainlab.org;
https://nin.nl/research/researchgroups/gazzola-group/), at the Netherlands
Institute for Neuroscience (NIN) (www.nin.knaw.nl), Amsterdam, NL

*Application forms and additional information:*
PhD: @ https://forms.gle/2Qek3z25EFsLzojJA
Post-doc: @ https://forms.gle/v4akmgo1v54pTemW7

*The SBL*: The Social Brain Lab, is the results of the joint venture of the
research groups of Christian Keysers and Valeria Gazzola, aiming at
shedding light on the neural mechanisms of empathy by combining studies in
humans and rodents. The SBL is funded by multiple European (ERC, Marie
Curie) and Dutch (VIDI, VICI) grants, and is characterized by an unusually
diverse environment, with members from all over the world, backgrounds
ranging from philosophy to engineering with an emphasis on biology and
psychology, and neuroscientific techniques spamming from high field fMRI in
humans to ultrasound imaging in rodents.

*The NIN*: The Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience (www.nin.nl) is the
country’s leading fundamental neuroscience research institute, and is in
close collaboration with the SPINOZA imaging center, which hosts both 3T
and 7T scanners and relevant expertise. Both the PIs have an additional
position at the University of Amsterdam, one of the top psychology
departments in Europe. Together this provides a critical mass of experts in
the most advanced neuroscience techniques, together with a dynamic
multi-cultural environment.