[FieldTrip] Why are time-frequency results so much different from Beamformer source localization?

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 12:48:26 CET 2020

Hi Patrick, (and Tzvetan - who responded in the meantime),

I agree that you should start with a good correspondence between your
initial results (wavelets), and the power difference you are trying to
localize (with mtmfft).

Wavelets and fft methods can result in very similar - practically identical
- results, but that depends on a number of parameters, especially
concerning frequency-smoothing; Wavelets are typically defined in terms of
nr. of cycles, while fft methods are defined in terms of time-windows.
Wavelets defined in nr. of cycles will have a decreasing time-windows with
increasing frequency, while with mtmfft time windows will remain the same.
Because of this, frequency smoothing will increase with frequency with
wavelets, and stay the same with a constant time window. Of course, you can
make the fft time window frequency-dependent, as is described in the
frequency-analyses tutorial, to make them more comparable. Secondly, the
fft method allows you to specify frequency smoothing when you use Sleppian
multitapers (cfg.taper = 'dpss'). To be clear, you should be able to
recognize these differences in frequency smoothing/resolution when looking
at the different TFR plots. Currently they look too different, probably
because of something else (baseline?) than a wavelet-fft difference.

I would advise making a 'full' TFR with mtmfft similar as your wavelet
results so that you can properly compare them. This allows you to also set
the best parameters for smoothing/timeperiods. In fact, you can use the
multitaper approach to more accurately extract the power in a certain
frequency band. Only then compare the topo's, and only then do the
beamformer, so you will pick up any unexpected results.

Because of different contrasts/baseline correction, I cannot compare the
topo's / beamformer results.

Bon courage,
Stephen