[FieldTrip] Help with Cluster-Based Permutation Tests

Ryan Priefer rpriefer at adelphi.edu
Wed Mar 11 14:50:52 CET 2020

Hello,

I work as a Lab Coordinator for the Neurocognition of Communication
Disorders Lab at Adelphi University, New York. We are looking to perform a
cluster-based permutation test on our EEG data but have some questions as
we are quite unfamiliar with how to apply it to this data in particular,
and neither of us are too familiar with Matlab code.

We collect our EEG data using a 128-HydroCel Geodesic Sensor Net from
EGI/Philips, and therefore we have used NetStation to do most of our
processing in the past.

We have attempted to utilize the bountiful tutorials FieldTrip provides on
their website and YouTube channel but to no avail. Specifically, we were
using this <https://pastebin.com/yskmVKAh> code alongside this
<https://vimeo.com/45658196> workshop video. We are simply not savvy enough
with Matlab code, despite these resources, and would really appreciate if
someone could provide some clarity on the process. Even the tutorials seem
to assume the user is knowledgeable about Matlab code/certain, intricate
things about the data itself that we just are not.

We get stuck quite early on, particularly because we don't know what
cfg.headerformat, cfg.dataformat, and cfg.eventformat would be for our
system, as this seems to specify for the neuroscan system :

   1. cfg=[]; % empties the universally used cfg-structure
   2. cfg.dataset=data{1}; % which dataset? Useful if a for-loop is used
   3. cfg.trialdef.eventtype= '?'; % We don't know what events have happened
   4. cfg.headerformat='ns_cnt32'; % Watch Out! With the neuroscan system,
   you have to set the bit-rate
   5. cfg.dataformat='ns_cnt32'; % Otherwise you'll have corrupt data
   6. cfg.eventformat='ns_cnt32';

Some additional questions:

Do you suggest beginning with a raw file and doing all processing in
fieldtrip for the best results? As of now we have been using a combination
of EEGLAB and NetStation 5 to process the data. We are assuming and hoping
that all of this fieldtrip analysis could be one on a completely processed,
averaged EEG file - but what file type works best? The default for EGI is
.mff, but we could use .raw, .mat, .txt, and so on as exports from the NS5
program..

Please advise as to what to do, or what further information you'd like from
us. I apologize for potentially a loaded, vague question. We are very new
to this type of analyzing (we usually use R/RStudio).

Thank you,

--
Ryan Priefer
Lab Technical Coordinator