[FieldTrip] Axes mismatch switching from Fieldtrip to Freesurfer

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Mar 5 08:12:48 CET 2020

Hi Paolo,

I would check:

1) whether the coordinate system in the aligned MR images is correct. Don’t use freeview, but do this with ft_determine_coordsys, and check whether the x/y/z axes are pointing into the expected direction
2) what information freeview uses to ‘guess’ the a/p etc. directions. If this is anything else than the primary transformation matrix in the file (e.g. if it uses some magic variable such as slice order or so) then this might cause your reported discrepancy.
3) (again) check whether the first step into the freesurfer pipeline script, i.e. the call to mri_convert is yielding the expected results. It is well known that freesurfer is very picky about the FOV and the orientation of the voxel space.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs