[FieldTrip] Axes mismatch switching from Fieldtrip to Freesurfer

Paolo Belardinelli paolo.belardinelli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:06:42 CET 2020

Dear Fieldtrippers,

still about the source pipeline using both Fieldtrip and Freesurfer:
- I load my nifti file with ft_readmri, without changing the axes
- I reslice the voxels
- I define the fiducials for sensor and acpc space definition.
- I save in mgz format
Then, if I visualize the mgz files with freeview the axes directions
appear wrong  (L-R shown in the P-A window and so on)
If I visualize the original .nii file, the projections appear correct.
The mismatch appears nor to depend on the file format (I tried to
save from FT in both mgz and nifti) neither on LPA and RPA
definition (I tried to swap the 2 points).
This has consequences on FS white matter segmentation: FS segments
correctly the .nii file but it fails when using the mgz file I
generated with FT.
Did someone experience the same issue?

Best,

Paolo