[FieldTrip] ft_sourcestatistics output

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jun 2 10:04:05 CEST 2020

Hi Sara,

The 'connectivity' in the output is not referring to neural functional
connectivity or anything like that, but simply to the geometric
connectedness of the voxel space. This could e.g. be neighbourhood
structure in channel space ("channel A is a neighbour of channels B,
C, D, etc.") or adjacency in time/frequency/isometric 3D space. This
particular statement just means that FieldTrip is clustering across
voxels located in regular 3D space (I guess you could say that their
"connectivity" is Euclidean).

The statement about single-sample statistics is similarly innocuous:
the "single sample" here refers to the statistic being computed on
each single voxel (before the clustering routine). In the case of
source statistics, "single voxel" would have been a better wording,
but the clustering can also happen in other spaces, where "voxel" is
not appropriate, hence the use of "sample" (not related to the
statistical use of the same word). But I agree this is potentially
confusing.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Eelke