[FieldTrip] ft_sourcestatistics output

Hussain, Sara (NIH/NINDS) [F] sara.hussain at nih.gov
Mon Jun 1 21:04:40 CEST 2020

Hi FieldTrippers-

I have a somewhat simple question. I am running some statistics on source-localized frequency domain data across two groups of subjects. I would like to use the independent samples t-test statistic for cluster-based permutation testing. However, the output in the command window when I run my code seems to disagree with what I am specifying. I’ve followed the tutorials closely on this to ensure I am doing the analysis appropriately.

I am running the following:

cfg=[];

cfg.parameter='pow';

cfg.method='montecarlo';

cfg.statistic='indepsamplesT';

cfg.correctm='cluster';

cfg.clusteralpha=0.05;

cfg.clusterstatistic='maxsum';

cfg.tail=0;

cfg.clustertail=0;

cfg.alpha=0.025;

cfg.numrandomization=1000;

cfg.design=[repmat(1,1,numel(cond_A)) repmat(2,1,numel(cond_B))]; %1=cond A, 2=cond B

stat=ft_sourcestatistics(cfg,cond_A{:},cond_B{:});

The command window prints the following. Bolded are the items that seem misleading. I have not specified any connectivity analysis. Also, the bit talking about single-sample statistics leads me to believe that this is running a single sample t-test where a set of observations is being contrasted against some expected mean value:

using "ft_statistics_montecarlo" for the statistical testing

using connectivity of voxels in 3-D volume

using "ft_statfun_indepsamplesT" for the single-sample statistics

constructing randomized design

total number of measurements     = 33

total number of variables        = 1

number of independent variables  = 1

number of unit variables         = 0

number of within-cell variables  = 0

number of control variables      = 0

using a permutation resampling approach

computing a parametric threshold for clustering

Any tips anyone has would be very much appreciated!

Sara