[FieldTrip] Fwd: Source localisation mom results

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Apr 23 07:56:55 CEST 2020

Dear Xavier,

Thanks for your message. Let me forward your questions to the fieldtrip discussion list. If you haven’t signed up yet, please do so (http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/discussion_list/).

I prefer to have the interaction through the list, because then more people will benefit from the discussion. Also, other people who have an opinion about the questions can also chime in. Both points make the transfer of knowledge more efficient.

At the moment, I don’t have much time to look in detail at your questions, since we are running our annual toolkit course at the Donders Centre right now (this year for the first time fully online). Therefore, I hope that somebody reading this might pick up on your message.

Some quick pointers:
1.  It depends on the connectivity metric of interest, but for most I’d compute the source level data for the frequency filtered signals (assuming a beamformer). When you’d be using a distributed source modelling approach (e.g. minimum norm estimate) the order probably doesn’t matter too much.
2. No, 2 different measurements are likely too different (different electrode positions, SNR characteristics etc), so that appending them before the source reconstruction does not make sense.
3. I did not check in detail, but your descriptions looks OK. This would be one way to get ‘parcellated’ results.
4. In it’s ’naive’ (i.e. without additional settings) application the beamformer has a well-known ‘depth bias’, resulting in a large dynamic range of the amplitude of the dipoles, with dipole locations that are far away from the sensors getting very large amplitudes. See http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer/ for another example (although it’s MEG, the same thing applies).

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs

Begin forwarded message: