[FieldTrip] Alternatives to cluster based permutation test in sparse electrode montanges

Arti Abhishek mailtome.2113 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 04:21:52 CEST 2020

Dear list,

I have the mismatch negativity (MMN) recorded from 14 channels. I have used
cluster stats in my earlier studies; however I believe it is not ideal here
due to the sparse electrode montage. What would be a good alternative here?
I thought of using Guthrie and Buchwald method (*Guthrie, D., & Buchwald,
J. S. (1991). Significance testing of difference
potentials. Psychophysiology, 28(2), 240-244.*) on selected electrodes (as
MMN is generally seen in fronto-central electrodes). However there are
criticisms of this method *(Piai, V., Dahlslätt, K., & Maris, E. (2015).
Statistically comparing EEG/MEG waveforms through successive significant
univariate tests: How bad can it be?. Psychophysiology, 52**(3), 440-443.*).
Could anyone help an alternative method.

Kind regards,
Arti