[FieldTrip] EGI mff file import

Raphaël Thézé raphael.theze at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:58:13 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the import of mff file format.

I used to import my EGI data with fieldtrip version 20180201 which worked
fine (with egi_mff_v1) but when I switched to fieldtrip version 20190325,
it uses egi_mff_v3 as default. The latter also works well except that when
it used to take 1 sec per trial to be imported with V1, now it takes about
1 minute per trial with V3. The amount of time needed to import one subject
in my case would be theoretically 3 hours, which is ridiculously long. I
understand that the switch of version takes place in ft_read_data, which is
called by ft_preprocessing, but apparently it is preproc, also called by
ft_preprocessing, that takes forever to compute, but I can't explain why. I
tried to manually request to use the version egi_mff_V1 but then there is
an error regarding xml file, that I have not tried to explore so far.

For now I will just go back to the 20180201 version of fieldtrip so I can
quickly import data into matlab, but I would like to understand what is
going wrong here, or if it is to be expected.

In advance, thank you all.
Best,
Raphaël