[FieldTrip] Granger Causality / MVAR modelling problem

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed May 22 11:55:42 CEST 2019

Dear Daniel,

Indeed, it does not make much sense to try and make a MMVAR (Massively Multivariate AutoRegressive) model like this….
The number of ‘independent’ dimensions in your data is at most the number of EEG electrodes minus 1. Unless you find a way to meaningfully and dramatically reduce the number of nodes, the estimation procedure does not make sense to me. You may want to consider a massive pairwise decomposition (i.e. do the estimation multiple times, for each pair of nodes to be considered), although this might suffer from:

1) mis-interpretation due to non-observed common input into both nodes (which I think is not a very big problem), but some esteemed colleagues might disagree with this.

2) mis-estimation of the model due to violation of the AR assumptions due to residual instantaneous (and additive) leakage from second (the other source in the pair) and third party (distant sources) sources. This would require an ARMA model (or an equivalent state space model), both of which are not straightforward to estimate. (that is: people who claim that these methods should be used do not seem to be very much inclined to share their knowledge in easy-to-use and robust code (nudge-nudge).

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs