[FieldTrip] beamforming pipeline & comparing sources between groups of participants?

Es, M.W.J. van (Mats) M.vanEs at donders.ru.nl
Thu May 2 13:03:39 CEST 2019

Dear Ioanna,

Indeed, these types of analysis are exciting, but complex! I have some suggestions for you. They might not solve your problem per se, but at least it should give you some insight in your analysis.

1)      As Vladimir suggested, make sure your headmodel and sourcemodel align and are of the same unit. Also, it might be better to look at source contrasts due to the center of the head bias (see http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer/#source-analysis-without-contrasting-condition)

-          Your frequency analysis looks correct. Since dics sourceanalysis is done on a single frequency, you can use smoothing to still encompass an entire frequency range.

-          This means that in the sourceanalysis you don't have to specify the [12 32] but could enter the center frequency: [22 22],  since the estimate at this frequency encompasses the entire range.

-          In your sourceanalysis you don't have to specify cfg.latency. Your frequency estimate is based on this window already. The cfg.latency option is used when your frequency data is time-resolved (cfg.method = 'mtmconvol'/'wavelet' in ft_freqanalysis).

-          In your frequency analysis, there's no need to keep trial information for sourceanalysis. As default, sourceanalysis will average over trials anyway. (trial information is only required if you use some kind of resampling procedure (like cfg.jackknife, cfg.bootstrap etc). (If you'd want to do single-trial analysis, you could multiply the spatial filter (from sourceanalysis) with channel-level single-trial frequency estimates. )

2)      Yes, you should do sourceanalysis separately for every participant.

3)      Take a look at ft_sourcegrandaverage

4)      Very good question, without a straightforward answer.

-          If you've already found a statistically significant effect at the channel level, there's no need to do statistics at the source level anymore; you've already rejected the null-hypothesis. You use source analysis only to visualize and interpret the data.

-          If you think you can gain statistical sensitivity by going to the source level, you should think of some way to reduce the dimensionality of your data. If you would statistically test power at every grid point, you will probably lose any effect when doing multiple comparison correction. For example, you might know (from the literature) that if there would be an effect, it will most likely be in a specific ROI. Then you could choose to average power in this ROI and test this between groups.

Alternatively, you could define your own ROI based on for example the induced power effect over all subjects: find out which region has the highest power increase (i.e. from baseline) in this task in general (thus irrespective of condition). Use this region the then test differences between conditions.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
Mats

PhD candidate