[FieldTrip] ft_spiketriggeredaverage

MarĂ­a Alejandra Korovaichuk alejandra.korovaichuk at ctb.upm.es
Mon Mar 18 17:47:16 CET 2019

Dear all,

I am trying to use the STA function to calculate the average of the LFP
around the spikes. The LFP was recorded with an intracranial system (not
supported by FT directly), so I used Spike2 software to open the file, I
select the LFP channels and save it as a .mat file. I can use the file
perfectly in FT. In the other hand, the spikes were sorted and save  with
wave_clus as a .mat file.
I can open and analyze both file independently and even merge them as one
structure.
But the problem arises when I try to see the relationship between the LFP
and the spikes with ft functions as ft_spiketriggeredaverage. The data and
the figure looks as  they are not synchronized among them at all.

I can't do a read_header with spike2 files (I have the error "unsopported
ced6 format"), I built the hdr info by myself:
data_lfp.hdr = []
data_lfp.hdr.Fs = 20kHz;
data_lfp.hdr.nSamples = nsamples (in this case 1000 sec means 20000000
samples)
data_lfp.hdr.FirstTimeStamp =1;

There is any other way to synchronized a continuous LFP with spike data?

It is possible that I have an issue with the timestamps reading?

Thanks in advance,

Alex