[FieldTrip] EEG electrode coordinates

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 24 10:16:51 CEST 2019

Hi Holly,

Although the coordinates might be ‘arbitrary’, they are defined with respect to a certain reference frame, right? If what you call the ‘fiducial’ locations are well-defined landmarks that are used to create one of the supported coordinate systems, then it would be relatively straightforward to map the points in your representation to coordinates that can be used for coregistration.

Procedure:

0) write some glue code, so that you can either read in, or represent your point cloud in a fieldtrip-like data structure (as would be outputted by ft_read_headshape). That is, either write a reading function (that can be plugged in), or convert your point cloud into a data structure (containing obj.pos at least) -> needed for step 2.
1) use ft_headcoordinates to create a transformation matrix that maps from your ‘arbitrary space’ to a known coordinate system. For this you need the fiducials to coincide with known landmarks.
2) use the derived transformation matrix to transform the coordinate system of your headshape object into the desired coordinate system (ft_transform_geometry).

Ideally, all steps are taken care of by ft_read_headshape, provided the file with the electrodes and fiducials allows for automatic extraction of the fiducial locations.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs