[FieldTrip] Cluster-based permutation test with individual frequency bands

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 17 09:31:21 CEST 2019

Dear Sebastian,

Fieldtrip only compares apples with apples, oranges with oranges, same-named electrodes with one another, and indeed also same frequency bins (and time points).

In your case your well-motivated intention is to ask Fieldtrip to compare alpha band in sub-001 with alpha band in sub-002 etc. This is perfectly fine, but would require you to fool around a bit with the subject-specific data structures. I’d extract per subject the alpha frequency specific data, resulting in a data structure with just a single frequency bin (and possibly multiple time bins). Next, you’d need to replace the individual data structures’ ‘freq’-bin with a value that is common across subjects, say 10. Then, it should be business as usual.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs