[FieldTrip] Cluster-based permutation test with individual frequency bands

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 17 09:35:47 CEST 2019

Dear Sebastian,

> How would I only include those frequencies that fall into each participant’s alpha band? As far as I understand it, the cfg.frequency argument of ft_freqstatistics only allows the specification of a fixed band.

You're right. The solution I'd use is to hack the freq structures a
bit: compute a per-participant average powspctrm in the band of
interest (using either ft_selectdata or mean()), and then simply
replace the freq.freq field with e.g. 10 (or anything else arbitrary
yet identical across participants). Then ft_freqstatistics with
cfg.frequency = 10 will work.

Note, though, that comparing power between different frequencies is
potentially problematic, due to different noise (and SNR) levels at
different frequencies. But I guess that if you're comparing relative
ERD/ERS rather than raw power, you should be relatively safe. Just
something to keep in mind.

Cheers,
Eelke