[FieldTrip] 2 x 2 with Two Between Subjects- ANOVA

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 22:05:59 CEST 2019

Dear Paul,

Yes, based on your description, you would not be able to run a 2x2 ANOVA
with this design. I guess an alternative would be to test the two simple
effects (using independent samples t-tests) without first testing the
interaction; this isn't optimal, but at least you'd be able to make claims
about whether there is an effect in each group (although you won't be able
to compare the size of the effect across groups).

Alternatively, if I recall correctly, I think this kind of ANOVA is
implemented in another toolbox, mne-python. But I'm not sure if it's really
statistically valid, given that the Fieldtrip tutorial says it shouldn't be
possible.

Best,
Steve

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.mypolyuweb.hk/~sjpolit/
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/politzer-ahles/>