[FieldTrip] wPLI values higher than normal coherence

daniel.strahnen at uni-ulm.de daniel.strahnen at uni-ulm.de
Tue Dec 17 11:57:24 CET 2019

Dear FieldTrip - Community,

I am using the wPLI routine from the FieldTrip toolbox to detect true
connectivity.

However, I found that the wPLI values that I obtain are even higher than the
coherence values and the maximum often goes up to 1.

Based on the theory behind the two measures I would rather expect the
opposite.

Has anybody stumbled upon the same phenomenon?

Here is the code I used, Output_data contains 7 channels (samples x
channels) and it is a continuous recording over 10 minutes which is
truncated into 4 second trials:

    data.label = {'Ref'; 'PFCd'; 'PFCu'; 'dHC'; 'vHCu'; 'vHCd'; 'MD'};

    data.fsample = 1000;

    j = 1;

    for k = 1:20

        data.time{k} = j:(k*30000);

        data.trial{k} = Output_data((j:(k*30000)),:)';

        j = k*30000 + 1;

    end

    cfg.length    =  4;

    cfg.overlap   =  0.5;

    [data] = ft_redefinetrial(cfg, data);

    %% Freqanalysis to obtain the cross spectral density

    cfg_freq = [];

    cfg_freq.method = 'mtmfft';

    cfg_freq.output = 'fourier';

    cfg_freq.keeptrials = 'yes';

    cfg_freq.taper = 'dpss';

    cfg_freq.tapsmofrq = 2;

    cfg_freq.foilim = [0 48];

    cfg_freq.pad = 'nextpow2';

    freq_data = ft_freqanalysis(cfg_freq, data);

    %% coh analysis

    cfg_conn = [];

    cfg_conn.method = 'coh';

    coh_str = ft_connectivityanalysis(cfg_conn, freq_data);

    coh_str = ft_checkdata(coh_str, 'cmbrepresentation',
'full','datatype','freq');

    %% wPLI analysis

    cfg_conn = [];

    cfg_conn.method = 'wpli_debiased';

    wpli_str = ft_connectivityanalysis(cfg_conn, freq_data);

    wpli_str = ft_checkdata(wpli_str, 'cmbrepresentation',
'full','datatype','freq');

Thank you very much and best regards

Daniel