[FieldTrip] Problem running tutorial

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Aug 23 08:06:01 CEST 2019

Dear Dan,

Sorry for the trouble. It is surprising (somewhat) that you get this error. Although I agree with Stephen, that using a more recent Matlab version would certainly work, but there are some checks and balances in fieldtrip that are aimed to prevent this backward compatibility issue that you encounter. Long story short: for ’newer’ matlab functions we provide overloaded versions of the same functions, which are to be used when a matlab version is used that pre-dates the introduction of the newer mathworks based functions.
This should be automatically handled by a section in ft_defaults (starting from line 217 or so), where, based on the matlab version used, a set of ‘compat’ directories is added to the matlab path, which points to the relevant folders that contain the overloaded functionality. Somehow, in your setup this fails, and it fails silently, due to the ’try/catch/end’ statement that is around this block of code.
So in order to get a better handle on this, you probably need to uncomment the ’try’ and its corresponding ‘end’, which would allow matlab to output an error message when calling ft_defaults. If you make the changes to ft_defaults, and then do the following on the matlab command line

restoredefaultpath;
ft_defaults;

Then at least you will get an error message (probably) that indicates why the automatic addition of the relevant folders to the path does not work for you.

Another possibility would be to just add manually to the matlab path the folders that are needed, i.e. all fieldtrip/compat/matlabltX folders, where X is anything more recent than the version of matlab that you are using.

Hope this helps and with best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

PS: just as a side note I recommend not to put the fieldtrip-folder in the MATLAB application’s toolbox directory, just to keep a clear distinction between the stuff that comes from Mathworks, and the code that comes from external parties (such as the fieldtrip team).