[FieldTrip] Fwd: a case of double dipping (circular analysis) ???

Vladimir Litvak litvak.vladimir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 09:24:38 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Howard Bowman <H.Bowman at kent.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM
Subject: RE: [FieldTrip] a case of double dipping (circular analysis) ???
To: Vladimir Litvak <litvak.vladimir at gmail.com>, FieldTrip discussion list <
fieldtrip at science.ru.nl>

Hi Vladimir: Thanks for copying me in.

Hi Yair: from your explanation of your analysis, it does also sound to me
that you have a double-dipping bias in your analysis. As Vladimir
indicates, I have been working through some of the maths on this, but you
do not actually need to go that far. The bias (which inflates the false
positive/ type I error rate) is easy to demonstrate by simulating the null.
I have enclosed our first paper on this, which was published in 2017. Where
I would say our paper goes beyond the Kriegeskorte et al Double Dipping
paper is the issue that Vladimir highlighted about imbalances of trial
counts across conditions, which is the norm in EEG and MEG experiments, for
reasons such as artefact rejection.

As Vladimir said, the approach we advocate is to aggregate your data across
conditions and search for a window in that. This is bias free, but in the
context of trial count asymmetries, only if you aggregate your data in a
fashion that ensures that every trail in every condition counts equally in
the aggregated average – that is our Aggregated Average of Trials. When we
were first looking at this, I think I even put a bet down that this
aggregation at the trial level **would** be biased, but it turns out it is
not and it is the right approach. This is shown in simulation in Brooks et
al, Psychophysiology, 2017; see figures 2 and 3.

We also now have a mathematical proof of this bias-freeness, but that
paper, which Vladimir is involved with, is still on my “to submit” stack.
[If not this weekend, then I’ll certainly get it in next, Vladimir.]

I suspect the simulation results will be enough for you Yair, but if you
want to see the mathematical details, let me know.

Good luck with your analysis.

Howard

Professor Howard Bowman (PhD)

Professor of Cognition & Logic in CS at Uni Kent, and Professor of
Cognitive Neuroscience in Psychology at Uni Birmingham

Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience and Cognitive Systems and the School of
Computing, University of Kent at Canterbury, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF,
United Kingdom

email: H.Bowman at kent.ac.uk

WWW: http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/hb5/

School of Psychology,

University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT