[FieldTrip] 'zscore' baselinetype option in ft_freqbaseline

Min-Young Kim mykim at kriss.re.kr
Mon Apr 15 08:31:39 CEST 2019

Dear community,

My name is Min-Young Kim, working in the Ultra-Low Magnetic Field team at
KRISS in Daejeon, South Korea. Currently I am analyzing group MEG data
recorded using 152 axial gradiometers during tactile stimulation tasks. The
axial gradiometer data were planar-transformed to template sensor positions.
The power spectrum in the sensor level was calculated using ft_freqanalysis
and combined using ft_combineplanar.

For group analysis of the spectral powers, I tried to compare different
options for the 'baselinetype' field in ft_freqbaseline. But when I called
the ft_freqbaseline with cfg.baselinetype = 'zscore', I received the
following error message:

Error using ft_checkopt (line 156)

the value of the option "baselinetype" is invalid

Error in ft_freqbaseline (line 77)

cfg = ft_checkopt(cfg, 'baselinetype', 'char', {'absolute', 'relative',
'relchange', 'normchange', 'db', 'vssum'});

Is the 'zscore' option available for the baselinetype in the
ft_freqbaseline? As in the above error message, the 'zscore' option is not
included in the ft_checkopt, while it is included in the subfunction [data =
performNormalization]. But then, the 'stdVals' used in the zscore
computation [data = (data-meanVals)./stdVals], was not defined anywhere in
the performNormalization subfunction.  I am currently using
fieldtrip-20190410 package. I would much appreciate if the zscore option
becomes available in the ft_freqbaseline function.

Best,

Min-Young

Min-Young Kim, Ph.D.

Tel: +82) 42 - 868 - 5204 (Office)
Advanced Instrumentation Institute
Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science