[FieldTrip] Brain segmentation has strange spikes in it

Simon Homolle s.homolle at donders.ru.nl
Wed May 23 14:01:04 CEST 2018

Dear Thomas,

unfortunately I cannot see the figure you send. But from the title of the email I think i have some suggestions for you.

> %volume conduction model
> cfg           = [];
> cfg.output    = {'brain', 'skull', 'scalp'};
> mri_segmented = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri_resliced);

for this segment you can play around with to make the the tissues more smooth
%   cfg.brainsmooth    = 'no', or scalar, the FWHM of the gaussian kernel in voxels, (default = 5)
%   cfg.scalpsmooth    = 'no', or scalar, the FWHM of the gaussian kernel in voxels, (default = 5)
%   cfg.skullsmooth    = 'no', or scalar, the FWHM of the gaussian kernel in voxels, (default = 5)

Or you can change the thresholds for the tissues
%   cfg.brainthreshold = 'no', or scalar, relative threshold value which is used to threshold the
%                       tpm in order to create a volumetric brainmask (see below), (default = 0.5)
%   cfg.scalpthreshold = 'no', or scalar, relative threshold value which is used to threshold the
%                        anatomical data in order to create a volumetric scalpmask (see below),
%                        (default = 0.1)
%   cfg.skullthreshold = 'no', or scalar, relative threshold value which is used to threshold the
%                        anatomical data in order to create a volumetric scalpmask (see below),
%                        (default = 0.5). this parameter is only used when
%                        the segmetnation contains 6 tissue types,
%                        including 'bone’,

> %reconstruct the three triangulated meshes.
> cfg = [];
> cfg.method = 'projectmesh';
> cfg.tissue = 'brain';
> cfg.numvertices = 3000;
> mesh_eeg(1) = ft_prepare_mesh(cfg, mri_segmented);
>
> cfg.tissue = 'skull';
> cfg.numvertices = 2000;
> mesh_eeg(2) = ft_prepare_mesh(cfg, mri_segmented);
>
> cfg.tissue = 'scalp';
> cfg.numvertices = 1000;
> mesh_eeg(3) = ft_prepare_mesh(cfg, mri_segmented);

If the previous steps to not solve your problems, you can also try to change something in the method
%   cfg.method      = string, can be 'interactive', 'projectmesh', 'iso2mesh', 'isosurface',
%                     'headshape', 'hexahedral', 'tetrahedral', 'cortexhull'

Cheers,

Simon Homölle
PhD Candidate
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging