[FieldTrip] fieldtrip at science.ru.nl

Mohamed Hamid moh.mustafa.91 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:12:33 CET 2018

Dear Community,

I have a general question. Is it OK to have many dipole locations outside
the brain when generating the leadfield matrix?

For example, when running the EEG head model example (
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/headmodel_eeg_bem/), then using
ft_prepare_leadfield to generate the leadfield, more than 50% of the dipole
locations are outside the brain.

in the above example,the leadfields are calculated for the locations inside
the brain only and the grid resolution is set to 0.5 cm. I am using the
anatomical mri of subject01 from the tutorial dataset.

What I want to know is if in general, it is normal to have this many
locations outside the brain in the leadfield matrix and if I can just
ignore them when simulating EEG or doing inverse solutions?

Mohamed Hamid

Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Eng.
Concordia University