[FieldTrip] inverse imaging

David Pascucci psc.dav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:33:57 CEST 2017

Thanks again Julian,
About the covariance, I am not sure about its usage in the reconstruction
of single-trials activity.
According to the example, this is done by multiplying the spatial filters
with the EEG data.

Whereas the covariance (Cf) is used to compute the avg.pow and ori in
ft_eloreta (line 160-168)

% get the power
dip.pow = zeros(size(dip.pos,1),1);
dip.ori = cell(size(dip.pos,1),1);
for i=1:size(dip.pos,1)
  csd        = dip.filter{i}**Cf**dip.filter{i}';
  [u,s,vv]    = svd(real(csd));
  dip.pow(i) = s(1);
  dip.ori{i} = u(:,1);
end

It does not seem to be considered when creating and storing spatial filters
(later used for single-trials reconstruction)
(line 152-158, ft_eloreta)

% use existing filters, or compute them
if ~isfield(dip, 'filter')
  filt = mkfilt_eloreta_v2(leadfield, lambda);
  for i=1:size(dip.pos,1)
    dip.filter{i,1} = squeeze(filt(:,i,:))';
  end
end

My question is, am I getting this wrong?
and if not, should I ignore the covariance estimation in the case of
single-trials reconstructed via filters*data?

Cheers,
David

David Pascucci

Postdoctoral Fellow