[FieldTrip] combining gradiometer/magnetometer sensors - neuromag data

Sarang S. Dalal sarang at cfin.au.dk
Wed May 10 10:59:39 CEST 2017

Dear Andria and Nicole,

Combining sensor types (gradiometers and magnetometers, or MEG and EEG) is indeed something that is not documented, and there is not yet a unanimous agreement in the community about how to do this best.

But, I can suggest one simple solution that was discussed at a recent beamformer workshop hosted by the Aston MEG Centre in February. (I believe John Mosher made the initial suggestion.)

As you probably know, the covariance matrix is an essential ingredient to constructing beamformer solutions. Different sensor types will have different scales and different noise properties, which then complicates the covariance between channels of different types.

So, one way around this is to zero out the ‘cross’ terms of the covariance matrix, i.e., set to 0 the elements of the covariance matrix that result from the product of a magnetometer channel and a gradiometer channel.  This can be accomplished with something like the following code:

timelock = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg, data);

[~,megmagidx]=intersect(data.label,ft_channelselection('MEGMAG',data.label));
[~,meggradidx]=intersect(data.label,ft_channelselection('MEGGRAD',data.label));

timelock.cov(meggradidx,megmagidx)=0;
timelock.cov(megmagidx,meggradidx)=0;

In my experience, this allows source reconstruction using all channels, with results at least as good as analyzing the channels separately. This is not to say that is the best possible solution, but it is a simple one that should work well!

Best wishes,
Sarang