[FieldTrip] combining gradiometer/magnetometer sensors - neuromag data

Thomas Hartmann thomas.hartmann at th-ht.de
Wed May 10 10:07:23 CEST 2017

hi,

i would suggest updating to a recent fieldtrip version. combining mags
and grads has been implemented there and you basically do not need to do
any extra steps. there are just these three pitfalls that you need to
pay attention to because it might lead to wrong results:

 1. make sure that you put in the original data. i.e. no prescaling etc.
    also make sure that you have not modified the .tra matrix of your
    grad structure.
 2. always compute your own leadfield. i.e. always use
    ft_prepare_leadfield to compute the forward model and don't have it
    done by ft_sourceanalysis. i don't know if this is absolutely
    necessary but as the ft_prepare_leadfield step is the one in which
    the actual pitfalls are, i would strongly suggest you do it
    separately to have maximum control!
 3. all the data going into ft_prepare_leadfield MUST BE in meters! i.e.:
     1. the grid mus be either created directly in meters of converted
        to meters by using ft_convert_unit
     2. the grad structure of your data must have been converted to
        meters. this is something you must do manually as according to
        my experience, fieldtrip does not take care of it. additionally,
        the default grad returned by ft_read_sens (and thus the one
        placed in your data structure) is in centimeters! so, it is a
        good idea to do something like this: data.grad =
        ft_convert_data(data.grad, 'm'); right after getting your data
        via ft_preprocessing!
     3. if you provide your grad structure in the cfg structure, also
        make sure that it is in meters.

the meters stuff is really extremely important!!! if your units are
wrong, you are going to end up with wrong source projections and will
not get an error message!!!

if you see some fieldtrip output like: "converting XXX to cm", your
results will be wrong!

if you take care of all that, fieldtrip does the scaling automatically
based on the distance between the two parts of each gradiometer.

best,
thomas

Am 10.05.2017 um 09:33 schrieb Klink-3, N.E.C. van:

> Hi Andria,
>
> We have been struggling with the same problem, also using a
> 306-channel Neuromag system. We ended up correcting for the scale
> difference between magnetometer and gradiometer signals (i.e. noise
> 5e-15T vs 5e-13T/m). So we multiplied the signals of the magnetometers
> and the leadfield values of the magnetometers by a factor 100. This
> gave us the best result.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Nicole

Dr. Thomas Hartmann

Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience
FB Psychologie
Universität Salzburg
Hellbrunnerstraße 34/II
5020 Salzburg

Tel: +43 662 8044 5109
Email: thomas.hartmann at th-ht.de

"I am a brain, Watson. The rest of me is a mere appendix. " (Arthur Conan Doyle)