[FieldTrip] RMS calculation

Wong-Barnum, Mona mona at sdsc.edu
Wed Jun 28 19:04:31 CEST 2017

Hello fellow FieldTrip users:

We would like to do RMS calculations for our MEG & EEG data.  My PI explains the calculation we need as follows:

This is a very simple calculation. What it does is it takes an amplitude, meaning a sine wave like signal, that goes above and below the midline, and thus also has negative and positive values and converts them all to positive values and then exhibits what is called “power.” All of the original values are squared and that leaves us with power which is essentially the “energy” of the signal. And of course instead of 603.1072 measures per second, we end up with only one measure per second to help simply the overall signal.

I don’t see a RMS calculation in the FieldTrip software but there appears to be a Matlab rms function (http://www.mathworks.com/help/signal/ref/rms.html).

I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can either point to an appropriate function in the FieldTrip software or confirm that the Matlab rms function will do what we are looking for?

Mona

    Mona Wong
    Web & Mobile Application Developer
    San Diego Supercomputer Center