[FieldTrip] Nine Research Positions in the Dutch Consortium "Language in Interaction" (1.0 FTE)

Verhoef, J.P. (Julia) J.Verhoef at donders.ru.nl
Mon Apr 24 20:25:50 CEST 2017

Nine Research Positions in the Dutch Consortium 'Language in Interaction' (1.0 FTE)

Dutch Research Consortium 'Language in Interaction'
Vacancy number: 30.02.17
Application deadline: 21 May 2017

Responsibilities
We are looking for highly motivated candidates to enrich a unique research consortium aiming to unravel the neurocognitive mechanisms of language at multiple levels. The goal is to understand both the universality and the variability of the human language faculty from genes to behaviour.

Currently, our consortium advertises 4 Postdoc and 5 PhD positions. These positions provide the opportunity for conducting world-class research as a member of an interdisciplinary team. Each position has its own requirements and profile.
Click here for more information on the advertised positions.<http://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html>
www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html<https://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html>
Work environment
The Netherlands has an outstanding track record in the language sciences. The Language in Interaction research consortium, sponsored by a large grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), brings together many of the excellent research groups in the Netherlands with a research programme on the foundations of language.
In addition to excellence in the domain of language and related relevant fields of cognition, our consortium provides state-of-the-art research facilities and a research team with ample experience in the complex research methods that will be invoked to address the scientific questions at the highest level of methodological sophistication. These include methods from genetics, neuroimaging, computational modelling, and patient-related research. This consortium realises both quality and critical mass for studying human language at a scale not easily found anywhere else.

We have identified five Big Questions (BQ) that are central to our understanding of the human language faculty. These questions are interrelated at multiple levels. Teams of researchers will collaborate to collectively address these key questions of our field.

Our five Big Questions are:
BQ1: The nature of the mental lexicon: How to bridge neurobiology and psycholinguistic theory by computational modelling?
BQ2: What are the characteristics and consequences of internal brain organization for language?
BQ3: Creating a shared cognitive space: How is language grounded in and shaped by communicative settings of interacting people?
BQ4: Variability in language processing and in language learning: Why does the ability to learn language change with age? How can we characterise and map individual language skills in relation to the population distribution?
BQ5: How are other cognitive systems shaped by the presence of a language system in humans?

Successful candidates will be appointed at one of the consortium’s home institutions, depending on the position applied for. All successful candidates will become members of our Big Question teams. The research is conducted in an international setting at all participating institutions. English is the lingua franca.
What we expect from you
Each position has its own requirements and profile.
Detailed information on: www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html<https://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html>

General requirements for all positions are:
•         a degree in one of the fields indicated for the positions;
•         strong motivation;
•         excellent proficiency in written and spoken English.
What we have to offer
•         employment: 1.0 FTE;
•         you will be appointed at one of the consortium’s home institutions, depending on the position applied for;
•         terms of employment depend on the embedding institution;
•         the institutes involved have regulations in place that enable their staff to create a good work-life balance.
Other Information
All institutes involved are equal opportunity employers, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourage applications from women and minorities.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on LiI consortium: http://www.languageininteraction.nl/
Further information on the different positions, including terms of employment and contacts: www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html<https://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/BQsecond.html>
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of Prof. P. Hagoort) exclusively via: http://www.ru.nl/applyonline?tk=uk&recid=597242
Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
•         a cover letter quoting at the top the number of the position you apply for;
•         your curriculum vitae, including a list of publications and the names of at least two persons who can provide references.
Please apply before 21 May 2017, 23:59 CET. You may apply for more than one position.

No commercial propositions please.