[FieldTrip] Question about cluster-based permutation tests on linear mixed models

David Groppe david.m.groppe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 20:20:05 CEST 2016

@Eric
1. Note the FDR control actually provides "weak" control of the family-wise
error rate (FWER). This is exactly the same degree of FWER control provided
by cluster-based permutation tests. If you want strong control of FWER you
will need to do something like Bonferroni-Holm or max-statistic (i.e.,
non-cluster) based permutation tests.
2. It's true that FDR assumes that the individual test p-values are
accurate. You can derive these p-values though via non-parametric
techniques like non-cluster-based permutation tests, thus the underlying
statistical assumptions will be the same as if you had done a cluster-based
permutation test. Moreover, if you have good reason to make parametric
assumptions, FDR will let you exploit them.

@Alik
1. I simulated data in that 2011 paper by randomly flipping the polarity of
real EEG data to generate 0 mean, realistic ERP noise. The noise was
subject-specific, but the simulated ERP effects were exactly the same for
all simulated participants. So it couldn't be used to address the question
you're after.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Maris, E.G.G. (Eric) <e.maris at donders.ru.nl