[FieldTrip] Orientation of headmodel with respect to sensors poisition

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Oct 19 09:15:34 CEST 2016

Dear Susmita,

It looks as if there is a discrepancy between the definition of the coordinate system according to fieldtrip (see ft_headcoordinates in fieldtrip/utilities, where it seems that an ALS axis system is imposed), when specifying cfg.coordsys = ‘yokogawa’, and the coordinate system of the sensors in your data file (which is probably RAS). I could not find any documentation about the ‘yokogawa’-convention (which is probably the reason why the yokogawa-entry in the table on http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_are_the_different_head_and_mri_coordinate_systems_defined is empty). Perhaps one of the Yokogawa-users on this list could chime in to enlighten you, or you could check the system’s documentation to find out what the expected.

The easy solution would be to register the mri to an RAS-based coordinate system (e.g. use cfg.coordsys = ’neuromag’ for ft_volumerealign), but I would recommend to get to the bottom of this, and provide a principled solution. Once you have found out about the conventional coordinate system for yokogawa systems, it would be great if you could update the table on (http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_are_the_different_head_and_mri_coordinate_systems_defined). Note, that if it turns out to be that there is no specific convention (e.g. site-specific ALS or RAS or so) it is worth documenting, too.

Good luck

Jan-Mathijs

J.M.Schoffelen
Senior Researcher
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Nijmegen, The Netherlands