[FieldTrip] Cluster Based Permutation Stats on Source Spaced Frequency Data

Martin Holding Martin.Holding at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 18:26:11 CEST 2016

Hello Fieldtrip,

This is my first posting so I'll introduce myself. My name is Martin and I'm a PhD student at the Institute of Hearing Research in Nottingham, primarily interested in auditory oscillations associated with tinnitus using EEG and MEG.  This problem is from a project I did a while back but I'm just wrapping up now.

I'm having a problem with running some cluster based permutation statistics on some frequency and timelocked MEG data I have. The first thing to mention is that the code runs fine. Fieldtrip is happy to run the tests, the problem is that I am getting no significant clusters out of it. This is in spite of some rather large t-values that might suggest otherwise. I suspect this is due to the fact that the frequency and timelocked data I am passing to the relevant stats functions (ft_freqstatistics and ft_timelockstatistics respectively) is analysed in source space, not sensor space. Unfortunately, due to data artefacts it isn't possible for me to do these analyses in sensor space. As such, I think that fieldtrip is telling me I have no clusters because it defines clusters based on neighbouring channels/sensors supplied by a layout template which it no longer has access too because I'm in source space on an MNI grid system.

I have 2 questions then:

1.       Is this a sensible conclusion for why I'm getting no significant clusters?

2.       And if so, is there a way I can make the fieldtrip statistics functions recognise MNI grids and calculate the neighbours on grid points rather than sensors?

Many thanks,

Martin

Martin Holding
PhD Student