[FieldTrip] Outputting average power with ft_freqanalysis

Shephard, Elizabeth elizabeth.1.shephard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 16:03:01 CEST 2016

Dear all

I am fairly new to FieldTrip so apologies if this is a very basic question...

I am using ft_freqanalysis and wanted to obtain average power values in frequency bands rather than power values at particular frequencies. So, following the documentation online, I specified the following:

cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'mtmfft';
cfg.taper = 'hanning';
cfg.foilim = [1 3];        % get power in delta range
cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
cfg.output = 'pow';
FFThann = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data);

But the powspctrm field I get in FFThann gives power values for 0.5 Hz steps across the 1-3 Hz range, rather than a single average power value for the 1-3 Hz range.

I was wondering if I have specified something incorrectly? I've also tried adding "cfg.avgoverfreq = 'yes';" but this doesn't change the output.

Many thanks in advance
Lizzie

Lizzie Shephard, PhD
Postdoctoral researcher
2.21 MRC SGDP Centre
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology, & Neuroscience
King's College London
De Crespigny Park
London, SE5 8AF
0207 848 5272