[FieldTrip] Why does ft_selectdata remove "pow" from sourcedata during statistics?

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed May 4 11:18:09 CEST 2016

Hi Andreas,
I think that the reason why ft_selectdata removes the ‘pow’-field is due to its overzealous bookkeeping. The data-structure you mentioned in a previous e-mail is not fully internally consistent (probably not your fault, by the way). Although it lacks a proper ‘dimord’ field, which specifies how the primary numeric data should be interpreted (in your case you probably want it to be: ‘subj_pos’), it also contains a ‘time’ field. In the absence of the dimord, FT is trying to create one from the data structure, and I suspect that the presence of the time-field will lead to something like ‘subj_pos_time’ or so. Subsequently, ft_seletdata only passes on those numeric data fields that are consistent with this dimord, which does not include pow. Anyway, my hunch is that if you do a rmfield(data,’time’), prior to calling ft_sourcestatistics the old-fashioned way (i.e. with the data being passed through ft_sourcegrandaverage), it may work as well.